A work accident can change your life in an instant. One moment you may be doing your job, and the next you may be dealing with pain and injuries, and you may not be sure what to do next. Most Ohio workers have the right to pursue benefits through a workers’ compensation claim, and it can be helpful to learn more about what to expect from that process.
The intent of workers’ compensation insurance is to provide support to injured workers. Generally, employees are eligible to file a claim if they suffer injuries while in their workplace or while fulfilling their job-related duties. If you get sick because of your job or are hurt because of a work accident, you may be able to claim support that will help you address medical bills, lost wages and other needs.
Types of benefits
The specific types of benefits you may be able to receive depend largely on the nature of your injury and the support you need to get better and eventually return to the workforce. Injured workers may be able to get some of the following types of benefits through their workers’ compensation claim:
- Temporary disability — If your injury is serious enough to leave you disabled for an extended amount of time, you may be able to seek disability benefits until better.
- Medical care — Injured workers are able to seek benefits that will cover their medical needs that arose as a result of their work-related injury or illness.
- Vocational rehabilitation — Vocational rehabilitation benefits are those that help you return to the workforce, such as job search assistance, resume preparation and more.
- Permanent disability — If an injury will prevent you from every returning to work and holding gainful employment, permanent disability benefits may be available.
- Wage loss compensation — Through a workers compensation claim, you may be able to receive compensation that will cover a portion of his or her lost wages.
If you need to file a claim, you will find it beneficial to learn about what you can expect from this process and what type of benefits you may be able to receive. You have the right to fight to maximize your claim and pursue the specific types of benefits that will allow to recover from your injuries and to continue your career. Like many other injured workers, you may find great benefit in speaking with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney about your claim.