Insurance companies fear us because we get great results.
Christopher J. Carney
ON THE RECORD
For nearly 3 decades, Chris Carney has been litigating injury cases on behalf of citizens of northeast Ohio. His practice focuses on personal injury, motor vehicle accidents of all types, premise liability (slips/trips/falls), nursing home negligence, medical malpractice, insurance law and crime victim advocacy.
Chris has received a Preeminent AV* rating from Martindale-Hubbell. This rating applies to those lawyers at the highest level of professional excellence. He has also been recognized as an Ohio "Super Lawyer," an honor given to no more than 5% of attorneys in the state who demonstrate excellence in the practice of law and distinguish themselves among their peers. The selection process is rigorous and results in third-party validation of their professional accomplishments.
A Cleveland native, Chris earned his B.A. in 1990 from the University of Dayton. In 1993, he graduated, cum laude, from the Cleveland Marshall College of Law, where he was Chairman of the Moot Court Board of Governors, and where he won the Dean's Award for Advocacy. He is admitted to practice in all Ohio courts and the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio. Mr. Carney has successfully argued in the Ohio Supreme Court in Mid-American Fire Insurance Company v. William Heasley.
Chris has been actively involved in many legal associations, including a term on the Board of Directors of the Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys, and a term on the Executive Council of the Cleveland Bar Association's Young Lawyers' Section. His association memberships include the Cuyahoga County , Cleveland , Ashtabula, Ohio State and American Bar Associations, the American Association for Justice, the Ohio Association for Justice, and the Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorneys.
Recently, Chris obtained one of the largest verdicts in Geauga County history in a slip and fall case styled Brandy West v. Rhockel Investment Group, where his client was awarded $250,000 in damages by the jury.
OFF THE RECORD
Chris is proud of the fact that he worked as a construction laborer for 7 years to pay his way through college and law school. He lives with his wife, 4 kids, and yellow lab in Cleveland's far eastern suburbs, where he is an active outdoorsman. He is also very active in the community, where he has coached youth football for over 20 years, has acted as the chairman of the parish council at his church, and as president of his local booster club association. Chris is also a delegate to the Cleveland St. Patrick's Day Parade Committee of the United Irish Societies of Cleveland.
- Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, Ohio
- J.D. - 1993
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: Moot Court Board of Governors, Chairman
- Honors: Dean's Award for Advocacy
- University of Dayton, Dayton, OH
- B.A. - 1990
- Binding Arbitration Clauses in the Nursing Home Context, Cleveland Academy of Trial Attorney News, February, 2007
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Ohio Association for Justice, Member
- Cleveland Academy of Trial Lawyers, Former Board Member
- Cleveland-Metropolitan Bar Association, Member, Former Executive Young Lawyers Section
- Ashtabula County Bar Association, Member
- Ohio State Bar, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Irish American Law Society of Cleveland, Lawyers Guild of the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland, Member
Current Employment Position
- Partner and Director of Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Insurance Law
- Motor Vehicle Accidents and Injuries
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Ohio, 1993
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio
- Heasley v. Mid American, Ohio Supreme Court
- Brandy West v. Rhockel Investment Group